by Dr. Holly Battey | August 10, 2015
I just got off the phone with a courageous woman who is a wife, mother, and cancer survivor. After surviving a 2nd bout, she is struggling to feel joy again, fearing the worst. My heart swelled hearing this...as a big part of me wanted to reach through the phone and give her a huge hug to reassure her that those days are over. Much as I want this to be true for her, I don't know what Life has planned. What I do know is that it's time to make the most of every moment.
Our conversation got me thinking about the importance of a well-lived life. Don't wait until a crisis to maximize your time on earth. If your dreams are on the back burner, let this be your wake-up call. None of us know how long we'll be here. It's in the Universe's hands. But we do have a choice about the life we lead and the legacy we leave. And a retrospective glance can be incredibly clarifying. So in light of this, grab your journal and jot your answers to some of the most significant questions you may ever ponder:
- If you had a year to live, how would you spend it? A month? A week?
- What bucket list items will you be sure to accomplish? (if you don't have one, it's time to create one.)
- What do you most want to be remembered for?
- What issue in the world is closest to your heart and what can you do about it?
Now let's plan your desired future:
- What needs to happen to align your current life with the life of your dreams?
- How/when will you implement these changes so you leave the legacy you desire?
Being mindful of our limited time here helps us live inspired lives that matter.